Tuesday, November 08, 2005

CAMP34 by i.Parris



Here is another very interesting camera. This is the latest digital video camera that I have purchased that I am still using. The CAMP34 is a very compact unit, that had a 2.5 inch display. Like the DDV-S670 and the iJoy, it has no optical view finder, so you are stuck using the built in screen, which can be a problem in bright sunlight. The screen is a little better than the DDV-S670, so it is somewhat more usable outdoors. The CAMP34 claims to have a 6MP sensor, though it acts more like a 2MP camera in terms of resolution. Perhaps the biggest weakness in the CAMP34 is it's fixed focus lens, or perhaps it's optics. I have found none of it's pictures to be very sharp. They always seem to be a little blurry. I don't know if this is because of the higher resolution sensor makes everything look soft, or whether the camera just isn't in focus. The pictures it takes are ok, but they just aren't very sharp. I think I must have gotten an early, perhaps pre-release model, since none of it's buttons are labeled. I had to read the manual and memorize their functions. Not a big deal, probably later samples will have labeling. Like the iJoy, the lens flips inside to protect it. This is very handy, since I tend to keep my cameras in a pocket, and on a motorcycle, you never know what kind of junk will end up in there with it, so it is very handy to have the lens protected.

Like all of the cameras I have been looking at, the CAMP34 can be an MP3 player, but I am convinced that Apple and their iPod don't have anything to worry about from the CAMP34. I have yet to see digital camera with an MP3 player function that is more than just barely usable. Come to think of it, most MP3 players that are supposed to be just MP3 players are generally just barely usable. I know many of you won't agree with me, but I view most consumers as "penny wise and pound foolish", they save money, but get even less than their money's worth.

The CAMP34 charges from the included USB II cable. It includes a nice little flexy tripod, stereo headphones and a video out cable for connection to the TV, which I haven't tried. I bought mine from GEEKS.COM, which you can find at the link above.

Conclusion: All in all, the CAMP34 is ok, it has good battery life, though the battery is not replacable. It works with a Macintosh, search the web for the FFMPEGX and MovieGate software. It is fairly rugged, and take ok pictures. It's fixed focus lens is probably it's greatest weakness. The flip inside lens protects the optics well, though the plastic body shows wear pretty quickly.

Rating: **1/2 out of 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home